We encourage you to join us for worship on Sunday mornings and throughout the week, taking part in the many ways we grow our beloved community, including book groups, lifespan religious education classes, special events, and social action. When you are ready to learn more about what it means to be a member of the Unitarian Church of Evanston, we invite you into this two-step process:
The first step is Introduction to Unitarian Universalism, a 90 minutes class offered Sundays after the worship service, approximately once a month. This class is designed to help you decide whether Unitarian Universalism is the right faith for you. Led by our Senior Minister, Rev. Bret Lortie, the class explores UU history, the principles and sources of our faith, the structure and governance of our congregations, and how we practice being in beloved community.
The second step is Orientation Toward Membership, a three hour class offered about four times a year at various times to accommodate various schedules. In this class, led by our New Member Committee, Membership Director and Minister for Congregational Life, Rev. Connie Grant, we will explore the spiritual journey that led you to the Unitarian Church of Evanston, the many rewards as well as the responsibilities of membership, and the meaning of covenant.
Child care is offered upon request for both of these classes. Sign up at the Guest & Member Services table in the lobby, or by contacting Membership Director, Eileen Wiviott at [email protected] or 847-864-1330 x111.
Upcoming sessions include:
Intro to UU:
- Sunday, August 7, 2016; 11:30am – 1:00pm
- Sunday, September 18, 2016; 12:30 – 2:00 pm
- Sunday, October 16, 2016; 12:30 – 2:00 pm
- Sunday, November 6, 2016; 12:30 – 2:00 pm
- Sunday, December 11, 2016; 12:30 – 2:00 pm
- Sunday, January 15, 2017; 12:30 – 2:00 pm
- Sunday, February 19, 2017; 12:30 – 2:00 pm
- Sunday, March 12, 2017; 12:30 – 2:00 pm
- Sunday, May 6, 2017; 10:00 – 11:30 am
Orientation Toward Membership:
- Wednesdays, September 7 and 14, 2016 ; 7-8:30 pm
- Saturday, November 12, 2016; 9 am – 12 pm
- Saturday, January 21, 2017; 9 am – 12 pm
- Saturday, March 25, 2017; 9 am – 12 pm
- Saturday, May 13, 2017; 9 am – 12 pm
The next New Member Covenant Sundays at 11 a.m. service (membership book signing and joining ceremony):
- Sunday, October 2, 2016
- Sunday, December 4, 2016
- Sunday, February 5, 2017
- Sunday, April 2, 2017
Principles and Sources class, 1st Sundays 10:15 – 11 am. Whether you are new to Unitarian Universalism or you would like to better understand the seven principles and six sources of our faith, join us for this rich 45-minute discussion led by members of the New Member Committee.
Spiritual Journeys – a 3-part conversation – 2nd, 3rd, 4th Sundays at 10:15-11 a.m. Explore your religious and spiritual background, where you come from, what you want to cherish and what you want to release. You can participate in any one or all three in any order.